Knowledge Network/Technology Transfer: Morocco
Geographic focus: Nouakchott and other regional directorates (eg: Nouadibu City).
Thematic areas: Non-revenue water and water quality management: financial and commercial aspects, organizational aspects and capacity development.
Countries that have benefited: Mauritania, Guinea (Conakry), Burkina Faso, Cameroon
Steps/stages in practical application of the mechanism: - 2007: execution of partnership agreement between ONEE (National Office for Electricity and Potable Water) - SNDE (National Water Society of Mauritania).
- January, 2008: implementation of a mixed task team (ONEE-SNDE) to prepare project platforms.
- 24 March 2008: organization of a Round Table in Rabat resulting in the formalized u00abDeclaration of Principleu00bb signed by the CEO`s of drinking water and sanitations companies: Eau de Paris, Vivaqua, SWDE, ONEA, SIAAP, SNDE and the ONEE.
- September 2008: Recruitment of the expert international year (Mr Dalloua ex CEO) of the SONEDE Tunisia) for the piloting and the realization of the study of diagnosis and the elaboration of a multiannual action plan.
- January, 2009: Delivery of the draft of the first phase of the diagnosis report for SNDE.
- Appointment of the new CEO of the SNDE in June 2009 - after a long period of political instability that rocked the country and stalled work.
- Execution of a renewed cooperation agreement (ONEE-SNDE) to mark the confirmation of both parties to strengthen their partnership and to pursue the Project, with the support of the GWOPA (UNHABITAT).
- June 2010: The SNDE, with the support of ONEE, made a commitment to organize a meeting in Nouakchott to present the results of the study diagnosis and to present the multiannual action plan of strengthening and reinforcing their organization to the members of the Network and to the other financial backers and international cooperation agencies.
Results to Date:
a) Diagnostic report of principal activities of SNDE.
b) Organization of the Round Table, 24 March 2008 in Rabat.
c) Declaration of Principles which marks the launching of this process of partnership and capacity building of SNDE.
d) Elaboration of the Terms of Reference for the realization of the Global diagnosis of SNDE.
e) Setting of a multiannual and multidisciplinary Action Plan.
f) Implementation of the capacity building programme (4 to 5 years) - incl. expertise and training.
Recent Annual Budget (USD): 600,000
Total Budget (USD): 13M
Focal Point and Contact:
BENSAID, Samir, General Director
International Institute for Water and Sanitation - IEA
National Office for Electricity and Potable Water Station de Traitement
Avenue Mohamed Belhassan El Ouazzani
10220 Rabat, Morocco